Jujitsu, also known as Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art and combat sport system which originated from Japan It was created by Mataemon Tanabe, Kano Jigoro, Tomita Tsunejiro, Mitsuyo Maeda, Geo Omori, Jachintho Ferro, Donato Pires dos Reis, Carlos Gracie, Helio Gracie, George Gracie, Luiz Franca, OsualdoFadda.
The Jujitsu has to do with grappling with particular emphasis on ground fighting. It embraces full contact and was birthed from the Kodokan Judo.
The Jujitsu is founded on the basis that the small-bodied individuals can triumphantly defend themselves against the seemingly stronger and bigger rivals and competitors. Jujitsu, also known as Jujutsu is a Japanese martial art and a method of close combat for defeating an opponent in which one uses either a very short weapon or none. It represents manipulating the rival’s force against themselves, rather than confronting it with one’s own force.
It is learned that the most efficient methods for neutralizing an opponent took the form of pins, joint locks and throws. Today, Jujitsu is practiced in both traditional and modern sport forms. This fighting style first began during the Sengoku period of the Muromachi period, combining various Japanese martial arts used on the battlefields for close combat in situations where weapons were ineffective.
The Jujitsu focuses heavily on throwing, immobilizing joint locks and choking as striking techniques were ineffective towards someone on armour on the battlefield.
The term Jujutsu was not coined until the 17th Century, after which time it became a blanket term for a wide variety of grappling-related disciplines and techniques. Prior to that time, these skills had names such as ‘short sword grappling’, ‘grappling’, ‘body are’, ‘softness’, ‘art of harmony’, ‘catching hand’, and so on.
Today, the systems of unarmed combat that were developed and practiced during the Muromachi period (1333-1573) are referred to collectively as Japanese old-style jujutsu. The word Jujutsu can be broken down into two parts. ‘Ju’ is a concept. The idea behind the meaning of ‘Ju’ is ‘to be gentle’, ‘to yield’, ‘to blend’. ‘Jutsu’ is the principle or ‘the action’ part of Ju-Jutsu- the science of art.
The Jujitsu is seen as a perfect martial art. It is seen as so for the following reasons-
- It is a mixed martial art.
- It is one of the most potent, real-life fighting systems on the planet. Contrary to popular belief, studies show that 95% of street fights end on the ground. This technique gives you the upper hand at all times in a real-life self-defense situation.
- It can be learnt by anyone at all.
- It is a lovely exercise as your body changes without you realizing it. You tend to lose weight and gain flexibility in the process of learning new techniques.
- It will be your second line of defense, in case striking does not work.
- It is a technique and martial art that sharpens the mind.
- It helps you build character.
- It promotes continuous self-improvement.
- Lessons learnt can be applied to everyday life.
Conclusively, Jujitsu focuses extensively on getting an opponent to the ground in order to neutralize possible strength or size advantages through ground fighting techniques and submission holds involving joint-locks and chokeholds. On the ground, physical strength can be offset or enhanced through proper grappling techniques.